Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hospital time!

So Obviously, Harley is here but I also wanted to mention the labor part of it all too. So take it for what it is worth, but this is the 'short' version of getting Harley here.

So we got the 'go ahead' to be induced on Thursday at my regular ob appointment. She said that since I was already progressing that I didn't have to go in the night before to get the meds to help me progress.  She did tell me to be there as early as possible because inductions can take a while. So Mike and I got there 5 min before the front doors opened at the hospital (can you tell we were ready?). We checked in at 6 and they were setting my IVs by 7am.

7:45 is when my doctor started my pitocin. I was already having some 'contractions' but they were the nice kind that don't count for anything. About 8:30, my doctor came in and broke my water. That's when the real deal kicked in. Kudos for women that go the natural route for more than 3 hours. That's about all I lasted before I wanted the drugs! (I did have a problem with the epidural taking on my left side.. which ended up being the theme of the day--left side could feel much more even during the c-section).

Well I 'labored' through the day and then about 8, they told me to start pushing. I got really excited to see them setting up the warmer for the baby and the tray of instruments. This was really happening. Then I pushed for 2 hours. About 90 min into it, my doctor came in and told me that he was hoping he would be farther down than that. Well, as much as I hate to say it, it really took the wind out of my sails (and Mike's too). So she wanted me to pushed for about 30 min just to double check. At 10pm, my doctor came in and told me that she thought it would be best to go ahead and do a c-section. As this point, I was done and I just wanted him out to meet us.

We went ahead and did the c-section and had to wait in line because Harley was doing well still and it was honestly nice to get some sleep. When I went in to get the c-section, I still had the problem with the epidural taking to the left side. They just drugged me up even more. :)

Harley was born 1:18am, July 2nd, 2011. He weighed 8lbs, 14oz and was 22 inches long. He had an insane conehead and the OB said that I could've pushed for 5 hours and might not have gotten him out. Plus, come to find out, he had a decent scrape on his head from my pelvic bone. :(

First arrived. 6am.


checking out the partner bed. 6am


very bad self pic, but this was about 4 hours into it.

After pushing and before c-section. Hairnets are coming back, I can feel it.


Mike was trying to get me in the 'self-portrait'




Here's the one where we can see his uber conehead.

He quit crying and held Mike's hand. Super sweet.


swollen face!


This was after I got back into the room. 5:30am. so tired.

So that is the long short of Harley's entrance to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment